Fast Start Blog
Resources to Help Build Your Online Business Faster, Smarter
“Today I want to tell you some advice I received when I was starting out that I completely ignored completely but my friend took to heart.
It’s a story about regret. And I hope it moves you to take more action on building your blog and your business.
‘Don’t Give Up Your Day Job’
Back in 2004, a lot of people told me, ‘Don’t give up your day job’.
I’d been blogging for about a year and a half, and I was starting to see that it was possible to make money blogging.
At first, I didn’t tell anyone about my dream of going full time as a blogger. But as my income began to grow, I told a few friends and family members.
Some of them humoured me. But a lot of them said, ‘Don’t give up your day job’.
While they often said this jokingly, their advice was well-intentioned. But over the course of about a year, I gradually did give up my day job. Or, to be more accurate, day jobs. I was working a bunch of different jobs, as well as studying part time. I became a full-time blogger. And fifteen years on, I’m still doing it.”
Read the whole thing here.
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Build a Community Around Your Blog
- How To Decide What to Charge for (and What to Give Away for Free)
- 1,000 True Fans? Try 100
- 18 Ways to Make More Money from Your Existing Website Traffic
- Working From Home? 14 Sanity-Saving Tools (+ 35 Pro Tips)
- How to Get Your Gravatar Photo to Show Up in Your Comments